We hope you'll find these energy saving tips and ideas helpful. For those of you who have become tired with the usual run of the mill tips found on most sites - however worthy - we hope you'll enjoy and be challenged by some of our alternative and more thought-provoking material.
These energy saving tips are provided on the basis that before you adopt any of these suggestions, you need to make sure that the information is appropriate for your own individual needs and situation. Just because a suggestion may save you energy or money doesn't necessarily mean that it's either safe or is going to improve your quality of life. If however, we've made you think about your energy usage and given you some ideas on how you may be able to reduce your consumption, we will be happy.
- Adopt the 8 R's - Check out these important 'R words' before throwing anything away - or even buying!
- A Little Kidology - Get the children involved in energy saving with a little financial motivation - our original Tip23
- Avoid Direct Debit Overcharging - Make sure you're not at a disadvantage with your energy company
- Enjoy Saving a Penny - Energy saving can be a hot topic - but often only when you're talking big numbers
- More Excellent Tips - A few simple tips that we have been given by readers
- Sustainability is a State of Mind - Why we have to get passionate about recycling
Environment & Recycling
- Batteries - With the threat their toxic ingredients pose to the environment, they are a prime candidate for recycling
- Don't Post, Send an Ecard - Even if it's not got the personal feel, its a solution to the ever increasing postal charges
- In a Jiffy - Reuse those mailers we all get and save a lot of money. Even large companies are doing this now!
- If it's Broke... - Yes, it's repair it. In fact this could be the way back into manufacturing in the UK.
- Recycled Packaging Labels - Demonstrate your green credentials by putting these labels on your recycled packages
- Recycling Wood - If it's being thrown away anyway, then why not ask if you can use it?
- Save Paper... And Trees - An old 'standard' but still one we should regularly think about
- Stop Junk Mail - Seems like this is easier said than done, but all we can do is keep trying
Gas & Electricity
- Dual Rate Meters - Make sure your meter timing is synchronised to avoid losing money
- Meter Reading Form - Take a copy of this form and fill it in regulalry to get an idea of your usage
- Best Time To Switch - Here are some helpful hints when preparing to switch gas or electricity supplier
Heating & Insulation
- Bleeding Radiators - Regular bleeding will improve the efficiency of your central heating, and your energy bill.
- Cavity Insulation for Solid Walls - This is just plain silly, but lots of stuff that comes through the door usually is
- Hot Water Tank Jackets - There very rarely is a tip that is a no-brainer, but this is pretty close
- Immersion Heater Settings - Not easy answer here, but some things to think about when setting your heater
- Let Radiators Radiate - They're called radiators for a reason, so don't stop them doing their job
- Letter Box Draughts - Our original Tip10 which features in a number of discussions across the Internet
- Sea of Loft Insulation - Great in practice, but inefficient when you can't use the loft space afterwards
- Turning the Heating Down - A fairly standard tip, but do make sure you stay warm enough
IT & Technology
- Beware printer ink FUD - Be aware of this selling technique when buying ink for your printer
- Cartridge First, Printer Second - Ink cartridges are expensive and printers - in relative terms are not - so think again
- Mobile Wind Up - Why not try a little light exercise and save energy?
- Laptop Wireless Problems - Extend the life of your laptop by changing your broadband router's wireless settings
- On-line Billing - Many suppliers use the green argument to save posting bills. But is it more about profits?
- Screen Savers - Why screen savers do not save energy, So, what should you do?
- Should you be Charging? - Charging may a necessity, but don't leave it connected any longer than necessary
- Standby or Standoff - Leaving electrical goods turned on surely doesn't use much electricity? Then think again!
Kitchen & Cooking
- Avoid Steaming Kettles - If it steams for too long, there may a problem as well as it hurting you in the pocket
- Operating the Fridge - Some pointers to getting your fridge to run efficiently and safely
- Pre-Heated Water - Dependent on how much use you kettle gets, it may be worth thinking about
- Use a More Efficient Kettle - Is bigger wattage kettle more expensive to run, or could it actually be cheaper
- Use a Vacuum Flask - A forgotten piece of kitchen equipment in our armoury of energy saving devices?
- Fill up the Washing Machine - Partial loads can seriously dent your energy saving efforts
- Cook with a Glass Lid - Keep the pan cooking without lifting the lid, and still see what's happening to your food
- Rediscover the Wok - So simple and energy efficient, but we seem to still prefer pots and pans
- Think Salad - A great excuse not to turn the oven on, especially in the summer!
- Pressure Cookers - If you haven't got one in your kitchen, then check them out
- Jacket Potatoes - Cook them in the microwave to save energy
- Steam for efficiency - Why not look at the versatile steamer to save energy
- Use a toaster - If you like toast, then they could save you money on your energy bills
- Do dimmer switches save energy? - A few thoughts about dimmer switches
- Are You Over-Shadowed? - Trees and hedges are fine, but are they OK if they stop light from coming in the house
- Be Aware of 'Light Heat' - Incandescent bulbs give off lots of heat. But if it means leaving the central heating off...
- Daylight is Free - Make sure your windows are kept clean so you can let this free source of lighting in
- Preserve Your Light Fittings - Low energy light bulbs may not be popular but they will be kinder to light fittings
- Reduce Your Lighting Bill - And of course, low energy bulbs are kinder on your energy bills as well
- The Most Efficient Energy Saving Lightbulb - This one's just to make sure you don't get lazy and into bad habits
- Which Lightbulbs are More Efficient when Turned On? - Just so you're aware of energy efficiency labelling
Travel & Transport
- Buy Local Produce - Apart from that nice war feeling of buying locally, it has to make sense for our carbon footprint
- Choosing the Right Car - As much a link through to Government data on car performance, but worthy of inclusion
- Make your Car Go Further - Fuel saving tips to get that MPG figure up. Any more suggestions would be welcomed
- Real Cost of Motoring - Have a look to see what the real cost of running a motor car is
- Cycle To Work - Not a practicable proposition for most of us - or is it?
- Park and Walk - Why do some car drivers need to park as close to the supermarket doors as they can.
How you can help others
Energy saving is not a simple and straightforward subject. For every action we take, some other part of our carbon footprint is likely to be affected. Unlike a solar-powered garden light trying to recharge itself during a typically wet English summer, we hope we can provide some illumination on this subject and help you become a greener and more efficient user of energy.